A 200 horsepower diesel engine’s BSFC is listed as;
0.5 lbs/hp-hour at full load (200 hp)
0.6 lbs/hp-hour at 75% load (150 hp)
0.7 lbs/hp-hour at 50% load (100 hp)
0.8 lbs/hp-hour at 25% load (50 hp)
• Assume a gallon of diesel costs $3.29 and weighs 7.076 pounds
1. Calculate the amount of fuel the engine will burn in an hour at each operating point:
2. Convert lbs per hour figures to gallons per hour of diesel fuel:
3. Convert the fuel consumption per hour to cost per hour if a gallon of diesel costs $3.29.
4. Which operating point gives you the best Dollar/HP operation?
5. Why is the cheapest operating point $/hour not the most efficient operating point?
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.