Week 5 Assignment: Terror Management Theory in Practice
Selecting a recent terror event, one occurring with the last five (5) years, examine the practicality of the terror management theory (TMT).
- In the opening of your work, provide an overview of the TMT, noting the critical aspects of the theory, to demonstrate a clear understanding of what the theory is and how it can be applied in various circumstances.
- Next, explore your selected terror event, discussing the ways in which the TMT might be applied to improving the understanding of the survivors’ coping and recovery following the terror event.
- In addressing the applicability of the TMT to the selected event, consider the survivors’ cognitive, social, cultural, and intellectual conditions as factors of influence that might skew perceptions of death and survival.
- Discuss, with detail and clear examination of the available scholarly resources, why these factors should be examined in the discussion and how, or if, they affect disaster behavioral health outcomes.
- As you wrap up your work, briefly discuss the appropriateness of the use of the TMT as it compares to other theories attempting to rationalize survivor thoughts and behaviors following terror events.
- Select a single theory upon which you will make the contrast, clearly identifying the foundational tenants of the theory, making a solid case for which theory is most appropriate.
Work should be submitted in a Word document (doc. or docx.) or other compatible word processing document, and be 4 to 6 pages in length, excluding the required title and reference page.
Scholarly sources should be cited both in-text and on the reference page of the submission. A minimum of two academic, scholarly sources are required to be cited in the work.
Submissions should be formatted per 6th edition (revised) APA standards. For assistance and resources on APA formatting style, please see the APUS Writing Center at Writing@APUS.
The Week 5 assignment should be submitted by SUNDAY of Week 5, NLT 11:55 pm ET to the Week 5 Assignment Link accessed through the Assignments Link on the left of the main course screen. The school Late Policy applies to all course assignments and can be found in the course syllabus.
Please see the assignment rubric for complete point breakdown and contact your professor with additional questions or concerns.