Unit III Case Study – Water Outage Scenario
For this assignment, students are required to answer questions about the scenario below.
You are the president of a university with an enrollment of 10,000 students. On Tuesday at 8:15 am, facility management has informed you that a major water main break has occurred outside of your main campus building near the site of a newly constructed research building. Law enforcement is also on scene as this situation is suspected to be an eco-terror attack.
Found spray painted on the wall was the following message: “Experiment on yourselves. This is your last warning.” As a result of this water main break, the following situations have developed:
· There is no water on the main campus and in the five large dormitories that house 2,000 students.
· The water main break impacts the HVAC cooling system and the data center for the campus.
· All building services, such as toilets, drinking water, water suppression systems, and dining facilities, are out of water.
· The damage is extensive, and it is going to take 36 hours for the water company to fix the damage.
· Due to the lack of water, the buildings must be closed per the health department’s health codes.
· Security and facilities management personnel will need to stay onsite to perform fire watch for the buildings and to escort the utility workers in and out of the facilities.
· Security will also be assisting law enforcement in their investigation at the crime scene.
· The data center will not be staffed.
· No other students and staff can stay in the facilities.
· The students living in dormitories will require some type of temporary housing.
· The students on meal cards will require meals.
· The university will have to determine makeup policies for missed classes.
Review what you have learned about the purpose of the Planning “P” incident action plan (IAP), and Incident Command System (ICS) forms. Then, based on the scenario above, determine how you would address the following issues by answering the following question:
a. Would this situation require an activation of the university’s ICS? Why?
b. Would this situation require an IAP? Why?
a. What are the incident priorities?
b. Create three SMART (specific, measureable, achievable, realistic, time-phased) objectives.
a. Are there resource restraints that the university may have for this incident?
a. What is the operational period: 8 hours, 10 hours, or 12 hours?
b. When should the next operational period begin, and why?
a. What ICS forms should be used to complete the IAP for the university?
b. Why did you choose these forms?
Your paper should consist of no less than two pages, not counting the title page and reference page. All citations and references used should be formatted using APA style. Additionally, students can use first person and opinions to answer these questions; however, please remember to support opinions with factual information.
Information about accessing the Grading Rubric for this assignment is provided below.
In Unit VII, you will develop your final presentation, which will be focused on the protection of a selected critical infrastructure from a terrorist incident. The two parts in this assignment will work as the foundation for the Unit VII Course Project.
Select the critical infrastructure for which you will develop your plan; you can use the same critical infrastructure that you used for your Unit II Project, or you can select a different critical infrastructure that is briefed on the webpage below:
· Provide examples of potential targets (e.g., a power supply plant, water resources, a military base, a shopping mall, a full stadium during an event, government buildings, an airport, a city center).
· Discuss what type of terrorist event will hypothetically take place at the critical infrastructure. You can select any type of terrorist event that has been discussed in this course. Some examples include chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosive (CBRNE) events. If you select a chemical or biological agent, be specific, and name the agent that the terrorist(s) will use in the hypothetical scenario.
An annotated bibliography lists citations of books, articles, and/or documents. Each citation is followed by a descriptive and evaluative paragraph that identifies what the resource is about and why it is of value to your research; this is called the annotation, which can contain 100-150 words. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the sources cited. The annotated bibliography will help you to organize your sources that will be used for your final presentation due in Unit VII. Each annotated bibliography entry consists of two parts: the APA-formatted reference citation followed by the summary for that reference.
Choose the critical infrastructure sector that you identified in your Unit IV Project Topic assignment. Once you click on the sector, click on the tab for the Sector-Overview, and then open the tab for the Sector-Specific Plan. This will serve as a relevant resource for this assignment (though you are encouraged to use any resources from this course).
For this assignment, you will develop a critical infrastructure sector profile by incorporating (in your own words) the information from this sector-specific plan as well as information from your Unit IV Project Topic assignment. Your profile should include the following components:
For this essay, you will explain the five main components of operational security (OPSEC), and you will discuss how OPSEC, personal security (PERSEC), situational awareness, and the OODA (observe, orient, decide, and act) loop relate to potential scene safety concerns before a terrorist event occurs, after it has occurred, and while it is still ongoing.
Your paper should be no less than two pages in length, and all sources used should be cited and referenced using APA formatting. At least two sources should be utilized for this essay.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.