RESEARCH PAPER INSTRUCTIONS
For this course, you are required to write a 5?8-page research paper addressing the topic below. Your paper must incorporate at least 6 scholarly sources from the Approved Sources list and must be formatted in correct, current Turabian style. Additionally, the paper must be accompanied by a properly formatted title page, outline, and bibliography, all of which do not count toward the length requirement.
You must incorporate your instructor?s suggestions. Review the grading rubrics for each of these submissions in order to improve the quality of your work.
The following is the topic for your research paper:
The Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts
Writing and Formatting Requirements
Before submitting your paper, ask yourself each of the questions below to ensure you have fulfilled all of the requirements.
1. Are the main passages of the book of Acts relating to the topic addressed and interpreted?
2. Is each passage clearly stated and explained in a way that examines the topic according to Luke?
3. Is the author?s intent in each passage examined and clearly stated?
4. Is the analysis of each passage thorough? Is each portion of the topic according to the book of Acts clearly defined and examined?
5. Do you interact with sources instead of merely restating their views?
6. Is the topic treated logically and thoroughly? Is critical thinking employed?
7. Do you provide areas where the information found in the book of Acts may be relevant and applicable to the lives of Christians in today?s world?
Materials & Style
1. Did you incorporate 6 sources from the approved list?
2. Are materials properly cited and quoted? Are quotes relevant to the study?
3. Is the paper properly formatted, following current Turabian guidelines? Are the entries in the bibliography and footnotes properly formatted?
4. Is the paper without spelling and grammatical errors?
5. Does the paper reflect an appropriate upper-collegiate-level of vocabulary?
1. Does the conclusion offer a good summary of the issues treated?
2. Does it conclude the thought by offering thoughts that bring the paper to a proper end?
3. Does it offer suggestions for further study related to the issue/passage?
The Jerry Falwell Library has prepared a research guide to assist you in finding academically credible sources for your research in addition to those that are listed in the ?Approved Resources by Passage and Topic? document. That guide can be accessed using this link. Remember that any sources you would like to use that are not on the pre-approved resources list must be approved in advance by your instructor.
Approved Resources for the Research Paper by Passage and Topic
The approved resources are sorted by passage/topic. The textbook for this course may be used as a source for your paper.
Remember to add the date you access each online work at the end of the entry. Ex.: (accessed January 1, 2014).
The Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts
Arrington, French L. ?The Indwelling, Baptism, and Infilling with the Holy Spirit: A Differentiation of Terms.? Pneuma 3, no. 2 (Fall 1981): 1?10.
Bruce, F. F. ?Holy Spirit in the Acts of the Apostles.? Interpretation 27, no. 2 (April 1973): 166?183.
Constable, Thomas L. ?Notes on Acts.? Dr. Constable?s Expository Notes. (2014). http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes/pdf/acts.pdf.
Drumwright, Huber L. ?Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts.? Southwestern Journal of Theology 17, no. 1 (Fall 1974): 3?17.
Harm, Frederick R. ?Structural Elements Related to the Gift of the Holy Spirit in Acts.? Concordia Journal 14, no. 1 (January 1988): 28?41.
Mathews, Danny. ?The Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts: A Critique of Jack Deere?s Surprised by the Power of the Spirit.? Restoration Quarterly 41, no. 2 (1999): 71?86.
Roberts, R. L. ?The Gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).? Restoration Quarterly 4, no. 4 (1960): 234?238.
Russell, Walt. ?The Anointing with the Holy Spirit in Luke-Acts.? Trinity Journal 7, no. 1 (Spring 1986): 47?63.
Turner, Max. ?The Work of the Holy Spirit in Luke-Acts.? Word & World 23, no. 2 (Spring 2003): 146?153.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.