Week Four: Telecommunication, the Internet, and Wireless Technology
- Identify the principal components of telecommunications networks and key networking technologies.
- Explain how the Internet and Internet technology work, and how they support communication and e-business.
- Identify the principal technologies and standards for wireless networking, communication, and Internet access.
- CheckPoint: Monitoring Employees on Networks [Due Day 5 in Assignments Forum]
- Read Monitoring Employees on Networks: Unethical or Good Business? on p. 206 of Essentials of Management Information Systems.
- Answer the following questions in 200 to 300 words:
- How does e-mail benefit an organization? Why might an organization want to limit how an employee uses e-mail during work hours? What is an e-mail’s path once it leaves an organization?
- What is the effect of instant messaging on organizational networks? What are benefits and drawbacks of using instant messaging in an organization?
- What are benefits and drawbacks of Web page and search engine use in an organization?
- Should managers monitor employee e-mail and Internet usage? Why or why not?
- Assignment: Internet Tools at Dirt Bikes [Due Day 7 in Assignments Forum]
Dirt Bikes’ management is concerned about how much money is being spent on communicating with people inside and outside the organization and obtaining information about developments in the motorcycle industry and the global economy. You have been asked to investigate how Internet tools and technology could be used to help Dirt Bikes’ employees communicate and obtain information more efficiently. Dirt Bikes provides Internet access to all employees who use desktop computers.
- Resources: 6 of Essentials of Management Information Systems.
- Write a 1,050- to 1,750-word paper, providing recommendations of various Internet tools that would help Dirt Bikes’ employees. Address the following topics:
- Include recommendations of how Dirt Bikes could benefit from intranets for sales and marketing, human resources, and manufacturing and production.
- Propose at least two other tools that would be helpful. Describe the tools’ benefits for the employees and organization, and the potential network effect.
- Discuss the concept of providing wireless access to employees from the perspective of employee benefits and the effect to the organization.
- Format your paper according to APA standards.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"