4-Mat Review Instructions
The 4-MAT Review is a way of responding to readings, lectures, and life experiences that requires you, the learner, to interact with new ideas on several levels. This assignment is to be done on the Koenig (2006) textbook only. Please use the following format in preparing your 4-MAT Review, showing each of the four sections listed below as Level 1 headings with corresponding APA-style parameters.
- Summary. After listing the name of the book and author, summarize what you have read as if you were the author boiling down the book into 500 concise words. Prove that you comprehend the reading by writing a no-nonsense summary. The summary is not a commentary or listing of topics, but rather a gut-deep, insightful “précis” of the longer, more elaborate book, which should be cited in text at least once per paragraph in which the book is discussed, and with page numbers for direct quotations. Summary equals “boiled down.”
- Concrete Responses. Be vulnerable! In 250 words, relate a personal life episode that this book triggered in your memory. Relate your story in first person, describing action and quoting exact words you remember hearing or saying. In the teaching style of Jesus, this is a do-it-yourself parable, case study, and confession. You will remember almost nothing you have read unless you make this critical, personal connection. What video memory began to roll? This is your chance to tell your story and generate new ideas.
- Reflection. What new questions pop up for you in response to what you have read? Take notes as you read. Outsmart the author by asking better questions than they did. Begin with questions like, “What bothers me about this book?” Discuss the positives and negatives about the book. Please keep this section to about 250 words.
- What are you going to do about it? Describe in detail what you are going to say to a counselee, send as an email, or say to a friend. What actions or changes are you going to make in your life as a result of what you have learned? Your response here is a matter of obedience first, questions later. Be precise in summarizing your action steps (limit these comments to about 200 words).
Provide an APA-style title page, making sure you show the title of the book reviewed, your name, and the institution [Liberty University]. You should also have a running head in the appropriate place and a page number on every page.
Please note: Your grade on the 4-MAT Reviews depends on the manner in which you address each of these four dimensions in response to your readings. Also, this assignment will be submitted to SafeAssign.
This assignment is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6.
- Paper adheres to APA formatting (title page, citations, references page, etc.)
- Writing is clear with appropriate grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Headings are appropriately labeled.
Summary (500 words)
- Following the listing of the name of the book, author, publisher and publication date, the student provides a comprehensive, concise summary of the major points of the book.
- Personal opinion on the content of the book is written by the student.
Concrete Responses (250 words)
- Student responds with a specific discussion of a personal life traumatic episode that this book triggered in the student’s memory per instructions.
Reflection (250 words)
- New, thought-provoking questions are posed regarding the content of the text.
- Positives and negatives of the book are discussed.
Action (200 words)
- Details are included concerning how this information affects the student’s outlook as a counselor and caregiver.
- There is a description that indicates how the student can better establish rationale for faith-based programs in support of military members and their families.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"